Monday, November 8, 2010

You Can't Do It All Yourself, But Sometimes You Wish You Could

After three decades in the Conference and Convention industry, and having coordinated, arranged, and run hundreds of events, I know first hand that it is impossible to do everything yourself. Coordinators who try to do everything tend to alienate committee members, as well as risking personal "burnout." On the other hand, however, I have often thought that it might be far simpler to simply do it myself, rather than having to endure the countless excuses, delays, procrastinations, errors of both commission and omission, and personalities.

Since I am a professional, and painstakingly plan every imaginable scenario, circumstance, and eventuality, it is often disconcerting when having to deal with others who do not take anywhere near that amount of care. It is, of course, possible that they simply do not understand what is needed and necessary. However, if that was the sole reason, it could easily be accounted for, and it would not nearly be as frustrating. I do not anticipate nor expect that less experienced individuals will have my skill level, experience, or expertise, and I could easily adapt for that. It becomes extremely frustrating, though, when one must endure others who don't know what they are doing, but insist on believing that they do. This type of arrogance causes the professional to often attempt to do as much as possible personally, and merely leave less significant details to others.

When I am contracted bu organizations, groups or businesses to coordinate an event, program, conference or convention, I state upfront that I will only get involved if I am given sole negotiating authority, and am named as the sole point of contact between the event location and the group. Organizations that attempt to negotiate through multiple voices invariably suffer in their negotiations.

As a professional negotiator, I understand what both the side I represent and the side I am negotiating "against" needs to come out with in the negotiation. A good negotiator understands that there is a delicate line between how much you can "push" during a negotiation, and going too far. Long term, my experience and expertise has taught me that the key to effective negotiations lies with a win- win philosophy.

How is it possible to find balance between involving more people, and effectively getting something done? How is it possible to deal with less experienced individuals, and not get frustrated? Is it worth the effort? After three decades, I am still convinced I have not discovered that balance, and still find the ineptitude and attitude of certain individuals extremely frustrating. I do not expect others to have all the knowledge and expertise, but I do expect them to know their limitations, and to not be so arrogant that they do not admit when they do not know, and simply ask for assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment