Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Following Up On The Job Search

Many people do not get their desired results from interviews, discussions or preliminary phone calls, because of either their failure to, or inability to properly follow up. Young adults, especially, seem to believe that simply sending someone a resume, an e-mail, or having a preliminary discussion or interview, is sufficient, in and of itself. They often claim that if the other person is interested, they will get back to me; or that they do now want to bother and annoy the other party.

The adage, "The greasy wheel gets the oil," is certainly appropriate, because, in today's busy and competitive world, most individuals come into contact with so many people, that unless one really "sticks out" with exceptional abilities, or traits, it is usually necessary to follow through.

When I train people in hoe to interview, I emphasize the importance of following up the interview. This follow up can be by letter ("snail mail"), e-mail, or by telephone. I generally suggest that in most circumstances, an interviewee immediately send an e-mail to the individual that interviewed him. One suggested e-mail format consists of:

"Dear ______________,
It was my pleasure to have the opportunity to meet with you today, and discuss the opportunity offered at ___________. I feel that my expertise, training, abilities, and life experiences makes me an ideal candidate for the position. I hope that I was able to fill in the details of the resume I gave you, and to properly articulate why your company and I would be the 'perfect fit.' I look forward to having further discussions with you, or whomever you feel appropriate, and to have the opportunity to commence the beginning of a mutually beneficial relationship.
Thank you for your time today. I look forward to speaking to you soon.
Yours truly,

_________________"

I then suggest that someone immediately hand write a similar note, and immediately mail it to the same person. By doing this, the candidate immediately separates himself from the "group," and increases the potential for further consideration.

During the interview, the candidate should also ask the interviewer what the timetable that the company is using for considering candidates. Based on that time table, someone should decide the best time to call back and inquire about his status. While this procedure is an effective one in the job interview situation, it is equally important in the follow up to any meeting, discussion, important phone conversation, etc. The follow up should always be brief, to the point, and friendly, as well as being focused toward the achievement of the goal or aim of the original meeting. Proper follow up is an essential and useful part of any "get it done" procedure.



No comments:

Post a Comment