Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Leaders Must Be Willing To Take A Stand

In three decades of doing leadership training, I generally begin by asking individuals if they consider themselves potential leaders, and why. I generally ask them to help me identify, with them, what the necessities of a leader are, what qualities are needed, and what kind of expertise might be required.

At that preliminary stage, I generally hear all the cliches, rhetoric and platitudes that one would expect, as if the participants are merely trying to tell me what they think I want to hear. However, occasionally, someone will say that a leader is someone who takes on responsibilities, and does what is necessary to get something important accomplished, whether it is popular or not. Almost invariably, I realize that if that individual is being sincere and honest, and really means what he says, that he is someone with well above average leadership potential.

One of the most disappointing things to a leadership observer and consultant, is that so many individuals ascend to leadership rolls who are not leaders. Often, they ascended because of popularity, or a pleasing personality. Other times, it was because the individual was willing to say whatever anyone wanted to hear. Unfortunately, far too often, someone ascends to leadership because of a lack of competition. Many of these people take the "don't rock the boat" path to leadership, and "straddle the fence" on every issue. These individuals often sit back and see what happens, and then "come to the party late," becoming concerned after the fact, blaming others for the difficulties, and complaining. Anyone who has spent over three decades working in leadership training realizes that those individuals are anything but leaders.

A leader must be willing to take a stand. Leaders must have a vision that they believe in, that they feel is best for their organization. These people create a well thought out plan, and dedicate themselves to "getting it done," whether it is popular or not.

Leadership professionals understand that some of the most popular leaders often are the worst, and history almost always shows that. Many who are unpopular during their term in office get their organization moving on a course of action that is essential to the organization's well-being.

Many years ago, I was on the Board of Trustees of a synagogue. Like many other institutions, this one was "rooted" in their glorious history, but had neglected its operations, finances, and changing social and economic times. There were sixty six members on that Board, and in the first year, there were many 65-1 and 64-2 votes that I voted in the minority. After a few years, I still often sided with the minority, but by a narrower margin, maybe- 42-24. Several years later, the majority even voted with me, supporting my idea on something that they defeated handily several years before. I fought them for responsible fiscal policy and numerous conceptual operational changes, and while opposed initially, eventually changed some minds. When we finally moved out the neighborhood many years later, I remember thinking that it was time for me to leave, if there are so many that now agreed with me. Obviously, I was not the most popular member of that Board. But, would I have traded being popular with standing up for what I believed, and proved to be right I do not hesitate for a second in stating that if one takes on a leadership role, he owes it to his organization to "fight" for what he believes.

No comments:

Post a Comment