Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What's In It For Me?

I am sure we have all met many people whose philosophy of life and what they do or do not do, can best be summed up by the words, "What's in it for me?" While I fully understand and appreciate that people have to "watch their backs" and make sure they are not taken advantage of, I strongly believe there are many situations where that attitude is, at best limiting, and at worst, selfish, narcissistic, and wrong. Every individual must have their own individual moral and ethical code, and it must include doing what's right.

I have always felt that, at least in terms of guiding my own personal actions, the most essential thing is to always remain true to my beliefs. My mother used to always tell me that you can always regain and rebuild nearly everything, except your self-respect and reputation. Mythology refers to individuals who are "Janus-faced," and others call it two-faced, but there is very little as irritating as dealing with an individual who says one thing to your face and another behind your back. How can one ever trust an individual who exhibits that type of behavior?

Why does there always have to be something in it for someone? At least, not something that directly benefits the individual in a material way. Doesn't peace of mind, doing the right thing, helping others, caring, etc. count for anything?

The Hebrew word, "tikun olam" literally means healing the world. If we all simply guided our lives and our actions by the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you," wouldn't we live in a far better society?

This may seem like an odd philosophy from someone who has spent my entire adult life in: sales; marketing; consulting; negotiations; conference, convention and event organization, development and management; real estate sales and management; etc., but I feel that the keynote to my career in each industry and every endeavor is my code of ethics. I strongly feel that I have consistently gotten far better results in all my negotiations and presentations, because I have always remained open and honest with those that I deal.

You only get out of life what you put in. Therefore, doesn't it make sense to adopt a helpful attitude than a what's in it for me philosophy?

No comments:

Post a Comment